Topics today: “What do Business Analysts add to Lean Projects” and some general chat about career backgrounds.
What do Business Analysts add to Lean Projects?
- We don’t want to add a layer between the team and the business / customers
- One definition offered of business analysis “abrogation of responsibility of business to engage with the team” …
- If you have a product owner, why have business analysts?
- Scrum team – the whole team should own the problem of what to develop
- In Australia the role is undervalued and gets low quality people in it
- Small teams should engage directly with the Product Manager / Product Owner
- “lean companies have people that sell and people that developer – that’s it”
- May need skills to analyse business flows, but they need to be able to sell as well
- team should just learn the domain, it’s not that hard
- this segwayed into a great discussion about whether you should hire domain experts or good people – the net outcome we felt good people are always better. But we have met many people who disagree and feel that their domain is ‘special’ and that doesn’t apply
- lots of specific chat about a particular career path, the point I wanted to record was this:
In a company “follow the money”, “where the money is, I go”. That is look for opportunities to move to those parts of the business generating the most value.